Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Thoughts on the Wong-Baker Facial Grimmace Scale

I don't like going to the doctor. Most of the times my wife takes me to the doctor she would probably rather take an angry rotweiler to the vet. But everytime I go, the one thing that stands out to me is the "Wong-Baker Facial Grimmace Scale". It is a series of smily faces that progress from happy to sad. This is supposed to help somebody explain how much pain they are in. It must be a hoot when they use this in the delivery room.

I don't have a lot of funny things to say about this. When it is needed for children, or people who don't speak the doctor's language, it is probably really important. But the thing that always gets me is this:two doctors have their names attached to a scale that is a series of smily faces. I'm sure I'm simplifying things, but it seems to me like Wong or Baker could have handled it on their own.

If you read this, please drop me a line with an honest comment, that way I know if anybody is paying attention. Although I guess I probably look like a guy who would ramble on when nobody is paying attention anyway.

No comments: