Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I Promised Myself I'd Write More...


I promised myself I'd write more, but I don't have anything specific in mind, so I don't know what will shape up here. Jim Norton made the point that reality television has sold everybody on the idea that their lives are interesting, when in fact that is not true for most of us.  I try not to be "that guy", and I'm not trying to be now.  But I figure better to write about the nothingness around me and maybe grow as a writer than to sulk about how I'm sure I'd be a great writer if only I had a subject.

The first spring training games are tomorrow.  I have mixed emotions about this because while I love the Cubs, the truth is that maybe the only thing more worthless than all-star games are pre-season games.  The Cubs let me feeling pretty beatenup at the end of last season.  They made some moves in the off season, the one that is bugging me is letting Kerry Wood go. He went to the Cleveland Indians, who I kind of think of as "The other Cubs", except that when the Indians make it to the post season they occasionally win games.  For the last two years the Cubs have had a strict policy of not winning in the post season.  I understand this makes it easier on the people who deal with the stats.

As I write this the Carolina Hurricanes are losing, badly, in the background.  The Canes have become only the second team to ever win a Stanely Cup and then miss the playoffs two years in a row.  To think people said hockey wouldn't work in North Carolina.  Based on the game I see here, we might be heading for a record (three years with no playoffs).

What do you know... I wanted to write about sports.  Odd, I know very little about sports.  I imagine it showed in my performance.

Leave me a comment if you like.  Blogger's spell checker is MIA, so if I misspelled anything I blame them.

No comments: