Monday, February 23, 2009

Timezone woes and NASCAR

I'm a bit of a NASCAR fan.  I phrase it that way because it definitely seems to be waining a bit as time goes on. I used to watch more.  Over time I've started watching less.  There are a number of reasons for this.  The big one is that the drivers I grew up following in my 20s were older than me and retired (or died), and I don't like the new younger drivers that replaced them as much.

The thing bugging me right now is that as the sport has become more national, and international, they start races later and later to accomodate the West coast viewers.  Unfortunately yesterday's race was on the West coast and did not actually start until sometime after 6pm EST.  This is a pretty inconvenient time if you typically have a "No TV during dinner" policy.  Thankfully we also have a "Honey, its not TV, its sports" policy that is made to cover hockey and baseball, but can be exteneded to racing and football as well.

As I've blogged about before, California Speedway doesn't make for the most exciting racing.  There's "plenty of room to pass".  I imagine this is great if you're a race car driver, who doesn't want to have to bang into other cars in order to pass them.  Unfortunately, its a bit boring if you're a spectator who likes ars to have to bang into each other in order to pass them.

So the race started late, and was the primetime viewing for Fox for the evening.  Why would you pick what is bound to be a boring race to be one of the few shown in primetime?  I came up with a theory this morning: The Oscars were on ABC.

The Oscars an annual television program where we celebrate movies that most of us have never heard of for being the best movies of the year.  And more importantly the actors and directors tell us how we should feel about social and political issues.  They obviously deserve our respect because they pretend to be other people for a living, which is far more noble than the "jobs" most of us do at "work".  And as Opie and Anthony sometimes point out, anybody speaking into a microphone is an expert.  Obviously the folks at NASCAR were trying to put their boring race on at the same time as the Oscars to try to make the race seem more exciting by comparison.  Something called "Slumdog Millionaire" that I'm pretty sure I never heard of until people started talking about it winning Oscars won 743,987 awards.

As it turns out, the end of the race was pretty exciting, because there were times when Jeff Gordon got as close as half a mile to Matt Kenseth, who won the race.  Frankly it is more entertaining when you're on the highway trying to a get picture of a good bumper sticker with your phone, but at least you don't get paid millions of dollars for that.

Love it?  Hate it?  Leave me a comment.  Blogspot's spell checker is MIA, so if I misspelled a word just assume that I spell very well but made a typo and I am no longer able to identify typos if they don't have a squiggly red line under them.

"The Oscars" is some kind of trademark owned by somebody else... click the link they probably little r's and c's inside of circles that signify something.

No comments: